The holidays are here and for some people, that means busy airports, over-weight luggage, and countless hours of driving. Some traveling may even mean aches and pains. Take the tips below with you on your travels to reduce and possibly avoid your troubling pains. Enjoy your holiday pain-free.
Lifting Your Luggage
- Bend at the knees and lift instead of lifting with your back muscles.
- Pivot with feet instead of twisting your back.
- Carry heavy luggage as close as you can to your body.
- Distribute the weight evenly.
Checking Your Posture
Sitting for long periods of time can be draining on your spine and lower back. Be sure to check your posture from time to time.
- Your back should be aligned against the back of your seat.
- Your headrest should be supporting the middle of your head.
- Make sure you shoulders are straight and you are not hunching forward.
- Make sure both of your feet are resting on the floor firmly.
- If you are the driver, avoid reaching for the wheel. Adjust the seat and the steering wheel to a comfortable position.
Move Around Often
When able, get up and move around. Your spine was made to move and sitting for prolonged periods of time can cause stress on your back muscles. If possible, get up and stretch every 20-30 minutes. Just 10 seconds of moving is better than sitting.
Most importantly, enjoy your holiday with your loved ones. Some aches and pains are simply unavoidable. If you find yourself unable to reduce and avoid your pain, call us today.
We are here to help.